Monday, May 17, 2010

Business Cards

I have a pet peeve when I network.  When I meet a stranger at a business event, the first two questions are almost always, "What's your name?" and "What do you do?" 

My pet peeve is when, after finding out what sort of business I run, this person immediately asks for my business card.  I know it's likely so that they can add me to an email list of some sort.  I assume this, because they want my card before asking thoroughly what services I offer, or even disclosing what business they run.

After meeting lots of people all night, I tend to have no cards left.  I should be practical and always carry a pen with me, but what to write on?  Bar napkins just don't look professional.

When a person seems truly interested in my business, trading cards is acceptable.  But when a person pounces on my card within 10 seconds of meeting, I get annoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment